Sunday, February 19, 2017

A Baby Nest

Last week I was listening to the radio
and they were talking about a
Baby Box, and I realized that
I never wrote a post about the
Baby Nest I made for our Grandson.
When our DIL was pregnant I knew
that I wanted to make something portable
she could lay the baby in that would keep him safe
while she was busy doing tasks around the house.
So I started searching for baby beds
that I could make from material. That's when I discovered
these Swedish Baby Nests. I wasn't able to find any patterns
to purchase one to make though, so I created my own pattern.
To purchase one made was well over $100.00!
My cost to make one was $ZERO!
A little bit of sweat equity and a TON of LOVE is all it took.
This is the one I made for our Grandson using materials and
batting I already had in my stash.
I made one that is reversible.
This side is made with a soft flannel.
The hardest part about making one of these
was adding the bias tape, which I made using a scrap piece
of coordinating fabric, to pull the rope through.
As I stated above, I created my own pattern and
wasn't good about taking pictures along the way. I
wasn't sure if my baby nest would come out right,
but it ended up just perfect.
First I had to determine how wide and long I wanted
the nest to be. Then I created my pattern using
freezer paper and cut out the material.
I started sewing it together around the outer edge leaving
the bottom half open.
The bed part was made by using 4 layers of quilt batting,
then stitched around the outside edges and quilted to stay in place.
Next you add the bias tape and pull the rope through. Stuff the
sides with batting or Fiberfil and hand stitch the bottom closed.
The Baby Nest is now ready to use.
This Baby Nest is machine washable & dryer friendly.
Our DIL has washed and dried it a few times and
it has come out perfect. She loved using this Baby Nest
and plans on letting her sister use it also. She has gotten
so much use from this thing. They have used it in between
them in bed at night, taken it to friends and family's homes
and placed it on couches and floors to have the baby close by and safe.

Here is a picture of our Grandson in it sleeping.
He is almost too long for it. To extent the length,
simply untie the rope and leave the end open.
He loved laying in this nest. She would place him
in it and he would start kicking his little legs. He
was so happy.
This was one of her many Baby Shower gifts I made for them.
Eventually I will post more Baby shower gifts I made.
Check back next week because you won't want
to miss the scrumptiously decadent dessert I made.

That's it for this week.
Until Next Time,
Veronica

No comments:

Post a Comment