Sunday, November 19, 2017

Smash Cake

Our Grandson just turned 1.

One year ago he blessed us with his presence.
To help celebrate his first birthday I made a special Smash cake
just for him.
Shortly before his first birthday we found out that he was
allergic to eggs.

Oh no!

How was I going to make a cake without eggs?

I started doing some research and came across a recipe
for an Eggless cake. These cakes were created during
the Great Depression when eggs, sugar and
dairy products were hard to come by.

 I wanted to try out the recipe for
the Depression cake to see how the taste and texture was
before I committed to making our Grandson a Smash cake.
It had to pass my taste test.

Well......
I was not impressed with this type of Eggless cake.
It tasted o.k. but I noticed that it had a gummy, sticky texture.
Not what I was going for.

So I did a little more research about how to replace
eggs in recipes and I found a simple secret ingredient.

Unsweetened applesauce.

Alrighty then, I was ready to try again.
I was being lazy and didn't feel like making a cake from scratch,
so I thought I'd try using a box cake mix.

And you know what?

IT WORKED!
And the taste and texture were perfect.
You wouldn't even be able to tell that this was missing the eggs.
Now our Grandson can have his cake and eat it too.
Everyone commented that it was a pretty fancy cake for a
one year old to smash. A special cake for a special little boy.
Let the party begin.
We were singing Happy Birthday to him as his cake was being presented.
He wasn't quite sure what he was supposed to do with it.
He tried picking it up at first.
Then he figured it out.


I believe it was a big hit for him.
The proof is in the pictures.
I also made a bigger version for the adults to enjoy.
I frosted the cake with a homemade Marshmallow Vanilla Buttercream frosting.
The adults had no idea this cake was made with applesauce.
All the adults commented on how delicious it was.
They couldn't believe it didn't have eggs in it.
If you know someone who has an egg allergy
who would love to enjoy a piece of cake, or a cupcake,
give this Eggless cake a try. I'm sure they will love it also.
Here is my recipe that I created for this Eggless Cake.

HOW TO MAKE AN EGGLESS CAKE USING A BOX CAKE MIX

1 boxed Cake Mix (I used Betty Crockers Super Moist) 
                                  Any brand or flavor will work
2 tsp. White Vinegar
2 tsp. Vanilla Extract (use this even if you are making a chocolate cake)
1 cup Unsweetened Applesauce
1/2 cup Unsalted Butter, melted
1+1/4 cup Cold 2% Milk

Preheat oven to 350°.

In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients and mix until just combined. Don't over mix.
Evenly pour into (2) 8-inch round greased and floured cake pans.

Bake for 35 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes before removing cakes from pans.

Let cool completely before topping with your favorite frosting.

*If making cupcakes, bake at 350° for 14-19 minutes.

HAPPY BAKING!

Until Next Time,
Veronica

No comments:

Post a Comment