Sunday, April 19, 2015

DIY Linen & Room Sprays

During the winter months our homes tend to get a stale, closed in smell.
I love to burn or melt candles to freshen the air.
I only burn soy candles because they burn cleaner with no soot.  Unfortunately, when I use these my allergies and asthma start to act up after a while.  I've tried numerous scents and brands with no luck.
I don't care for aerosol sprays because they are either so strong smelling or just plain artificial smelling.
 
So what's a girl to do when she loves to have her home smelling fresh and clean?
 
Why she makes her own all natural linen and room sprays by using 3 simple ingredients!
 
And the best part......It doesn't bother my allergies or asthma!  EVER!  No matter how much I use.
 
That's right, 3 simple ingredients.
 
Vodka, water, essential oil.
 
 
The vodka is essential for the spray.  Oil and water don't mix, by adding a little alcohol it helps the oil disperse and also helps the scent linger longer in the air.
 
 
 
This spray is safe enough to spray on linens.  I love to give our pillows and sheets a few spritz before bedtime.  Try using a mixture of Lavender and Vanilla for their calming effects.  Such a pretty smell.
 
My bottles are 8 ounces.  The following recipe will yield a 2 ounce bottle.
 
Linen & Room Spray
 
1 Tablespoon Vodka - any brand
1/4 cup Filtered Water (I use our filtered water from our refrigerator)
10-40 drops of Essential Oil of choice
 
Place the vodka into a small spray bottle.  Add the desired drops of essential oils and shake well to mix the two together.  Add the water.  Label your bottle and you're ready to use your homemade linen & room spray.  Shake before each use to distribute the essential oils.
 
 
Give this linen and room spray a try.  I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised.  No artificial smells or unwanted chemicals being released into the air.  This smells so much better than the aerosol brands, plus you get to control the scent level.
 
I love the smell of fresh air, it's so invigorating.  I love being able to have the windows open with the fresh air blowing through.  When that's just not possible I pull out my bottles of homemade sprays.  I usually keep a bottle of this in each of our bathrooms year round for those just-in-case moments.
 
Yesterday it finally reached 70 degrees here.  We put all the screens in our doors and windows and also set the back porch up. It's so nice to be able to open our doors and windows to let in the clean fresh air and enjoy a cup of morning coffee on the back porch.

That's it for this week.  Enjoy your week!

Until next time,
Veronica

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing an interesting and very useful article. I believe this is useful. Thank you.
    Buy Special Blue Room Spray

    ReplyDelete