Sunday, April 12, 2015

Homemade Cough Syrup & April Chalkboard

Can you believe that it is April already!
 
I love when Spring arrives and all the summer birds return
and the Spring flowers start to peek out of the ground.
 
I love to wake up and hear the birds chirping, it's a sure sign of Spring.
 
We've had a lot of rain here lately which helps the flowers and grass start to grow.
Our daffodils are already starting to open.
 
 
One thing I don't care about Spring is that it brings on my allergies!
This year has hit me pretty hard.  I'm talking knock me off my feet hard!
I do take prescription allergy medicines year round but even those weren't enough to keep the allergies from creeping up on me.  This year I developed a bad cough because of all the sinus drainage down the back of my throat, preventing me from getting a good nights sleep.
 
So I thought that I would share my recipe for Homemade Cough Syrup.
 
This stuff WORKS people!  Plus it doesn't make you feel lethargic.
 
*DO NOT GIVE TO CHILDREN UNDER ONE YEAR OF AGE*
Their little digestive systems cannot break down the enzymes in honey and can cause botulism.
 
All you need are 3 simple All Natural Ingredients.
 

 
Raw Honey - make sure the label states RAW.  You want all of those good for you enzymes and probiotics that you only get with raw honey.  You should be able to get this at your local grocery store.  It isn't any more expensive than the processed honeys.
 
Extra Virgin Olive Oil - for it's natural anti-inflammatory
 
Lemon Juice which is a natural antiseptic.  I didn't have a lemon for the photo thus the lemon juice bottle.
 
All Natural Cough Syrup
 
3/4 cup Raw Honey
1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2-4 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
 
Mix all ingredients together and give it a good stir.  Store in an airtight container.  I use the honey jar.
 
Dosages:
 
Children 1 year and older - 1 teaspoon as needed for cough
Adults - 2 teaspoons as needed for cough
 
 
I take 2 teaspoons of cough syrup before I go to bed at night and am able to sleep all night without coughing!
 
Hubby had a bug a couple of weeks ago and used this cough syrup.  He only had to take one dose in the morning and one dose at night.  That's it!
 
As promised I have my April chalkboard completed.  I worked on it a little each morning before I headed off to work.  I wasn't sure if I would get it done because my allergies stopped me cold for a few days.  This morning was the first day I actually started to feel better so I was able to finish it up.
 
Here is my April chalkboard.  I thought I would use colored chalks this time around.
 
 
I should have added at the end...and allergies!
 
I wanted to give the kitchen a lighter look for Spring.  Here is how I set up the little
stand and area that sits under my chalkboard.
 
 
 
This is the whole SHABANG!

 
 
I hear that we are supposed to have temps. in the 70s this week.  I'm so ready for nice weather!
That's it for this week.  Hope you have a beautiful week.
 
Until Next Time,
Veronica
 
 
 
 


1 comment: