Sunday, May 24, 2015

Thumbprint Pillows

Summer is fast approaching!
Can you believe that it is almost the end of the school year?
Before you know it those kiddos will be saying "I'm Bored".
So I thought that I would post an easy project that the kiddos would enjoy helping make.
 
Thumbprint Pillows
 
 
These really are super easy to make.
 
All you need are a few supplies.
 
Fabric Paint - I used 3 different colors
Pillow Cover - I made my own using a painter's dropcloth
*Hobby Lobby sells plain pillow covers with a zipper closure that can easily be decorated*
 
 
Clear Contact Paper - I purchased mine from Walmart
 
 
Wax Paper
Scissors
Design of choice
 
Let's get started!
 
First, chose a silhouette design from the internet for your pillow cover and print it off.  I enlarged mine to 140% and taped it together.
 
 
Place your design onto a big piece of contact paper and tape it down.  Very carefully cut out your image.
 
 
Once the design is completely cut out, peel the backing off the contact paper and place the design onto the pillow cover, making sure that it is centered and firmly pressed down to prevent paint from seeping through.  Place a piece of wax paper between the pillow layers.  This will prevent the paint from soaking through.
 
 
Now the fun begins!  Gather the kiddos and the paint.  Place the paints onto paper plates and let the kiddos dip their thumbs into the paint and start randomly filling in the design.  No need to wait for each color to dry before adding the next color.
 
This is what it looks like with the first color.
 
 
Continue adding your colors until the design is completely filled.  I let mine dry about 10 minutes before I carefully removed the contact paper.  Here is my design with the 3 colors added.
 
 
 
Let dry for 4 hours before using your newly designed pillow covers.  I made a thumbprint seahorse and starfish pillows.  I also made the matching pillow.
 
 
 
Here they are on the back porch.
 
 
Your kiddos will LOVE making these.  Wouldn't these make great personalized gifts for those special people in their lives?
 
So go create some fun memories together with the kiddos!
 
Until next time,
Veronica
 

1 comment:

  1. I think this is a really good article. You make this information interesting and engaging. You give readers a lot to think about and I appreciate that kind of writing.
    Home Decor

    ReplyDelete