Sunday, August 5, 2018

This is Us

Room by room I am slowly transforming
the style and look of our home.
We have a family room in our lower level
that has had me stumped for some time now.
I wanted to display a few family photos on a wall but couldn't
for the life of me decide how I wanted to display them.
I wanted the photos to stand out, yet blend in
with the t.v. and stand.
Here is the wall I wanted to display them on.
One day out of the blue I had an epiphany.
I was going to hang shelves above the t.v!
Using painters tape, I taped off the area where I wanted my shelves to hang.
Then Hubby and I headed off to Home Depot to pick up the supplies
I needed to build the shelves.

My epiphany on display.
From our computer,
I printed off a few family photos onto photo paper in black and white.
To create inexpensive custom mats I placed the photos
on white poster board and plopped them in the frames.
No one would even know that these weren't custom matted photos.
I created the sign saying and printed it off on our computer.
The shelves were created using 1" x 4", 1" x 3" and 1" x 2" construction lumber.
I had Hubby cut the lumber into the length of each shelf.
Before assembling the shelves I stain all pieces of lumber using
Minwax stain called Provencial.
Hubby assembled the shelves using his nail gun.
Using screws we attached the shelves to the wall through the back board.
I wasn't concerned about the screws showing because I knew
that the pictures would cover the screws.
Here is a side view.
To create balance, the longest shelf is the same width
as the t.v, 40 inches.
The 2 side shelves measure 20 inches.

If you are interested in these shelves and don't want to build them,
you can purchase similar shelves from Pottery Barn.
2 foot shelf = $69.00.
4 foot shelf = $129.00
source: Pottery Barn
Or you can be like us and build them for under $13.00 for all 3!
You decide.
That's it for this week.
Until Next Time,
Veronica


No comments:

Post a Comment