Sunday, October 28, 2018

Fall + Soups = Warm & Cozy

Doesn't everyone love to be warm and cozy
when the weather is cold and chilly?
I love when Fall rolls around.
It means that I can start making
pots of warm and hearty soups
and spend more time in our warm and cozy kitchen cooking.

We are huge soup eaters in the
fall and winter months.
It's very comforting to me to be in the kitchen
cooking up pots of soup during the fall and
winter months. I think it has something to
do with knowing that I am creating nutritious,
delicious and comforting soups for my family
that help chase away the chill, illnesses and fill our
bellies during those long cold months, plus
there is nothing better than
the whole house being filled with the
wonderful aromas of the soups cooking.
Talk about feeling warm and cozy.

Yesterday felt like a Homemade Tomato Soup day.
Did you know that tomatoes are so beneficial to your health?
It's true.
Tomatoes can provide about 40% of the daily vitamin C required.
Lord knows we all could use a little extra vitamin C this
time of year with the cold and flu season upon us.
Tomatoes also contain vitamin A, potassium and iron
that is essential for maintaining normal blood health.
Lets not forget about vitamin K, which controls
bleeding and blood clotting. Tomatoes are so
beneficial to our blood circulation.
I don't know about you, but I prefer to get
my vitamins in a good bowl of soup compared
to popping a pill in my mouth.

Hubby loves my Tomato soup.
Heck, who am I kidding.
He loves all my soups.
What's tomato soup without a hearty toasted cheese
sandwich to go along with it?
Not your everyday wimpy boring
toasted cheese sandwich.
No Siree.
We're talking toasted cheese sandwiches made
with hearty bread, pepperjack cheese and mayo to be exact.
It's a match made in heaven.
Give it a try.
I'm pretty sure you won't ever want to eat canned soup again.
I always make two pots of the same soup at a time.
One to enjoy right away and one to freeze for later consumption.
The freezer is already starting to get stocked for the winter months.
I used to freeze our soups in quart size ziploc freezer baggies
until I found these food storage containers that I can reuse
over and over again.
DuraHome-Containers
Campbell's soups don't stand a chance against homemade soups.
Nope.
None
Nada
Zilch!
Give up the fight Campbell's!
Here is my version of Homemade Tomato Soup.

HOMEMADE TOMATO SOUP

INGREDIENTS:

(3) 28 oz. cans Crushed Tomatoes
2 Carrots, minced
1 large yellow Onion, chopped
1 stick Unsalted Butter
4 cups Chicken Broth
1 large Garlic clove, minced
2 teaspoons Sea Salt
1 teaspoon Basil
1 teaspoon Oregano
1-2 teaspoons Lawry's Seasoned Pepper
1/2 cup Heavy Cream
Parsley - to garnish

DIRECTIONS:

In a dutch oven, or large stock pot, saute onions and carrots in the butter until slightly softened.
Add garlic, stir until garlic is fragrant, approx. 1-3 minutes.

Add crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, salt, basil, oregano and pepper. Stir and cover pot.
Cook for 1 hour.

Remove from heat and stir in the heavy cream.

Serve soup warm topped with parsley.
Source: Veronica's Kitchen

That's it for this week.
Until Next Time,
Veronica


No comments:

Post a Comment