Sunday, September 8, 2019

Cooler Temps = Soup Weather

I love a good bowl of homemade soup.
I don't know about you but I could eat
homemade soup year round.
So when the weather starts to become
cooler I will spend a whole day in the kitchen
making batches of soup to put into the freezer.
Of course I have to make a batch
to eat right away also. There is no way
Hubby is going to let me freeze all
that soup without having a bowlful.
I totally agree with him on that.
The  soups always fill the house with
wonderful aromas.
How can you not do a taste test?

Each year I will make batches of our favorite
soups to freeze but I am also on the lookout
for new soup recipes to try.
Although I love our favorite soups I just don't
want to become bored with them.

Steak and Ale Soup

You know what they say,
"variety is the spice of life".
Besides, I love to eat and am willing
to try new dishes.

Yesterday was the perfect day to start making soup
to freeze as the weather was a bit cooler here in Wisconsin.

I had a head of cauliflower and a ton of fresh
broccoli in the fridge, plus some potatoes that I needed
to use up before they started to turn bad.

Soup weather to the rescue!

Cooler temps = soup weather.

Our first batch of soup to be stored into the freezer
was Cauliflower Broccoli Soup with Bacon
YUMMY!
This is true comfort food for us during those long
cold winter days.

I also made a batch of Broccoli Potato Soup that
was out of this world good!
Needless to say, it was so good that we ate it all
and I didn't get to take any photos of it.

It was SO GOOD!

I'm hoping next weekend I can make another
batch to freeze and post the recipe.

But for now, here is the recipe for the Cauliflower Broccoli soup with Bacon.


Cauliflower Broccoli Soup with Bacon

INGREDIENTS:

5 tablespoons Butter, divided
3 large Carrots, chopped
3 stalks Celery, chopped
1 medium Onion, diced
4 cloves Garlic, minced
32 oz. Chicken Broth
3 Russet Potatoes, peeled and diced into cubes
3 heads Broccoli, chopped into florets
1 head Cauliflower, chopped into florets
1/4 teaspoon dried Thyme
1 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
1 teaspoon Paprika
1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
1 Tablespoon Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce (optional)
1/3 cup All-purpose Flour
3 1/2 cups Milk
2 cups shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese (8 ounces)
6 slices Bacon, cooked and chopped

DIRECTIONS:

In a large stock pot over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon butter. When the butter is melted, add the carrots, celery and onion and saute until translucent, approx. 4 minutes. Add garlic and saute for an additional 1 minute. Stir in the chicken broth, potatoes, thyme, salt, black pepper, paprika. cayenne and Sriracha sauce. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low-medium, cover and simmer for 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Add the broccoli and cauliflower, stir and cooked for an additional 7 minutes, or until tender.

While the veggies are cooking, melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a medium size sauce pan. Add the flour and stir. Slowly stir in the milk and whisk consistently until thickened. Add the cheese and whisk until blended and smooth. Add this mixture into the soup mixture and stir to blend.

Serve up a warm bowlful and enjoy!

Stay tuned for the next soup recipe.

Until Next Time,
Veronica

No comments:

Post a Comment