Sunday, November 3, 2019

No Knead Crusty Artisan Bread

We broke a record for the most snowfall
in October. We received 8 inches of snow
over 2 days. Our highest temperature this
week was 38° with our night time temps dropping
down to 19°.  I don't mind the snow,
it's the cold temps that I don't care for.
So not ready for this!

Saturday Hubby went to our son's house
to help him cut up a BIG tree that had fallen down.
It was cold, snowy & wet outside.
Since Hubby was going to be out in the elements
I thought I would surprise him by making
 a big pot of chili to have ready for him
when he got home to help warm him up.
While making the chili I realized that I didn't
have any crusty bread to go with it.

What's chili without crusty bread
to go with it?

I knew that our local little hometown
grocery store doesn't carry any type of
artisan breads. I really didn't want to leave
the house to try and find a loaf of artisan bread.

I have never made homemade artisan bread before
but I was willing to give it a try.
Crossing my fingers that it turns out
and tastes good too.

After a little research on the internet
I discovered a recipe for no knead
crusty artisan bread that only requires 4 ingredients,
which I had on hand,
could be mixed in a bowl with a spatula,
and could be made in under 2 hours.

Perfect.
 Just what I was looking for.

All those wasted years of not making artisan bread because I was
so intimidated thinking it was a complicated process.
How wrong I was.
This recipe has to be the easiest recipe I have ever made.
Simply mix all the ingredients into a large bowl until well combined.
Cover with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for 1 hour.

After 40 minutes, place a 3 to 6 quart Dutch oven with lid into a cold
oven and preheat to 450°.

After the dough has rested for an hour,
place the dough onto a well floured surface and
sprinkle with a little flour.
Using a spatula, fold the dough over 10-12 times
and shape into a rough ball.
Once the oven has reached 450°,
line the Dutch oven with parchment paper and place the
ball of dough onto the parchment paper.
Place the lid onto the Dutch oven and bake for 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes remove the lid.
Bake uncovered for an additional 7-10 minutes.
Remove from oven and carefully lift out the bread and let cool
on the parchment paper.
Hubby was quite impressed with this bread.
He couldn't believe that I made it from scratch
and it was ready by the time he got home.
This bread has a soft, fluffy center with big holes
and a crust that crackles in your hand when gently squeezed.
And the taste... I couldn't stop eating this bread.
Hubby said that it tastes way better than any
store bought bread I've every bought.
I totally agree with him on that.
We loved this bread so much that I
made another loaf the next day.
Each loaf has its' own unique design.
Now that I know how easy this bread is to make
and the taste is better than any artisan bread I've ever bought,
I can honestly say that I will never buy store bought artisan bread again.

This bread isn't just for soups.
It makes great toast for breakfast.
Try it dipped in olive oil, parmesan cheese & black pepper.
Make a garlic bread to go along with your spaghetti & meatballs.
Use it to make bruschetta.
Make a toasted cheese sandwich,
or just add butter and eat as a snack.
The possibilities are endless with this bread.

NO KNEAD CRUSTY ARTISAN BREAD

Ingredients:

3 cups Bread Flour (All-Purpose flour works also), plus an additional 2-4 tablespoons for shaping
2 teaspoons RapidRise yeast, or 1 packet (7 grams)
1 teaspoon Salt
1+1/2 cups hot Water (up to 130°)

Instructions:

Combine flour, yeast and salt in a large bowl. Stir in water until it's well combined. The dough will have a sticky consistency to it.
Cover with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
After 40 minutes, place a 3 to 6 quart Dutch oven with lid in a cold oven and preheat to 450°.
After the dough has rested for 1 hour, place it on a well floured surface and sprinkle with a litter flour. Using a scraper, fold dough over 10-12 times and shape into a rough ball.
Line the Dutch oven with parchment paper and place the ball of dough on top,
Place the cover on the Dutch oven and bake for 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes, remove lid and bake an additional 7-10 minutes.
Remove the bread and parchment paper from the Dutch oven and place on a cooling rack to cool.

Recipe adapted from: JennyCanCook.com

That's it for this week.
Until Next Time,
Veronica

No comments:

Post a Comment