Sunday, September 11, 2016

Whip It Good

Remember my luscious looking frosted cupcakes?
I shared how to fool people with a box cake mix
but didn't share the frosting recipe.

I'm such a tease that way and
I'm truly sorry for that.

I didn't want to share the recipe
because I was going to do another post
with the cupcakes that I made for our
Son and DIL's baby shower.

Oh are these ever yummy!
I know, I shouldn't tease you this way.
I made 75 cupcakes!

The baby shower was a Nautical theme.
I used some of the cupcakes to create an anchor.

Then I created these.
Cupcakes with little whale tails.
I made some marshmallow fondant and created the whale tails.
The cupcakes were a HUGE success!

This frosting is the only frosting I will EVER make again.
It is a whipped frosting with
 just the right amount of sweetness.
It is light and fluffy, unlike the super sweet,
heavy Buttercream frosting.

Let's make some Whipped Frosting!

First you need to make a thickening agent.  In a medium saucepan, whisk one cup of milk with 5 tablespoons of flour.  Heat over medium heat whisking constantly.  Continue to stir as the mixture thickens and has the consistency of cake batter.  Stir in 2 teaspoons of vanilla and set aside to cool COMPLETELY. I placed mine in the refrigerator for 2 hours.


Place 2 sticks of softened butter with 1 1/4 cups of granulated sugar into a bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, and whisk until light, fluffy and white in color.  Whisk until all the sugar is completely incorporated into the butter.

Add the completely chilled milk/flour mixture into the bowl and beat on high speed until everything is smooth and well blended.  The frosting should be as light and fluffy as whipped cream.  I beat my frosting mixture for 5 or more minutes, stopping and scrapping down the sides.
I was able to frost 24 cupcakes with one batch of frosting.
Here is the recipe.


The Best Whipped Frosting EVER

1 cup milk
5 tablespoons flour
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup butter (2 sticks), at room temperature
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar (not powdered sugar)

In a medium saucepan, whisk one cup of milk with 5 tablespoons of flour. Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly.  Continue to stir as the mixture thickens and it reaches the consistency of thick cake batter.  Stir in 2 teaspoons vanilla extract and set in refrigerator to cool COMPLETELY.

In a bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat 2 sticks of butter with 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar until light, fluffy, and white in color, making sure that sugar is completely incorporated into the butter.

Add in the milk/flour mixture and whisk until frosting is light, fluffy, and has the consistency of whipped cream.

Now, go frost some cupcakes, or a cake.

Recipe adapted from Missy Dew on Tasty Kitchen

ENJOY!

Until Next Time,
Veronica

No comments:

Post a Comment