Sunday, September 4, 2016

What Are They?

Does anyone know what these are?
One of Hubby's co-workers brought these in from her
garden and ask him if I would like to have them.
I had no clue what they were.
Once she told me what they were I ended up
taking several of them.  I knew exactly what I
was going to do with them.

They are called Lemon Cucumbers.

Don't let the name fool you,
they taste just like any other cucumber.

I LOVE anything fresh from the garden,
so when co-workers bring in fresh produce
from their gardens I always make sure I grab some.

My favorite type of pickles are Bread and Butter.
I thought I would make a couple of pints of
Bread and Butter pickles using these cucumbers.
They turned out fantastic!
They were SO GOOD that I ended up eating
one pint in 2 days all by myself!
I took a few samples to work with me and shared them with
co-workers.  Everyone commented that they were really good.
I gave a sample to the co-worker who gave me the cucumbers
and she said that they tasted just like the ones her Grandma
used to make.  She had been wanting to make Bread and Butter
pickles for a while but she didn't want to do the canning and
couldn't find a recipe that tasted just like her Grandma's.
She was surprised when I told her that these were
Refrigerator Bread and Butter pickles.
No canning required!
She ended up bringing me in more cucumbers and
requested a pint of my Bread and Butter pickles.
If you know me, you know that I try to find recipes that
are quick, easy and tastes great.
This recipe is all that and then some.
These pickles don't only taste great,
they also have the perfect crunch factor.

Hubby is a Dill pickle kind of guy.  He saw me eating
so many of these that he actually tried some.
His comment was, "those are really, really good".

Would you like to make some of these?
I promise, you won't regret making them.

To make my cucumbers have the same thickness
I used my mandolin.  I LOVE this thing. It makes
slicing anything quick and easy.
It gets A LOT of use in my kitchen.
I didn't take any pictures of the process because I started
making these before I headed off to work one morning.
The recipe is very easy to follow and I'm confident that
you will be able to make these.

Before I give you the recipe, I wanted to show you
these HUGE Vidalia onions that I picked up at
our local grocer.  These are locally grown.
I've NEVER seen onions this big.  Hubby
was my hand model so that you can see
for yourself just how big these were. I bought
3 of these and chopped them up to freeze. I
ended up with 20 cups of onions.
That should last us a while.
This recipe is my version of the Refrigerator Bread and Butter Pickles.

REFRIGERATOR BREAD AND BUTTER PICKLES

5 1/2 cups thinly sliced pickling cucumbers
1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 cup thinly sliced Vidalia onion
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoons celery salt
1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric

DIRECTIONS:

Combine cucumbers and salt in a large, shallow bowl; cover and chill 1 1/2 hours.  Move cucumbers into a colander and rinse thoroughly under cold water. Drain well, and return cucumbers to bowl. Add onion to the bowl and toss with the cucumbers.

Combine the granulated sugar, white vinegar, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, mustard seeds, celery seeds and ground turmeric in a medium microwave safe bowl; microwave  for 5 minutes on high, or until sugars are completely dissolved. Pour the hot vinegar mixture over the cucumber mixture; let stand at room temperature for 1 hour. Cover and refrigerate 24 hours. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator up to 2 weeks.

Recipe adapted from: Brown Eyed Baker

You're Welcome.
I know that you will thank me for sharing this simple, easy and great tasting recipe.

Until Next Time,
Veronica

No comments:

Post a Comment