Sunday, June 11, 2017

A Whale of a Salad

With Summer just around the corner
and the temperatures rising, my palate
tends to crave cool and refreshing foods.
One of those cravings happens to be
my Refreshing Fruit Salad with a Honey Lime Dressing.
Forget about making the frozen whipped topping 
and pudding mix concoctions that leaves a funky
film and aftertaste in your mouth.
If you like fruit this is a MUST try.
Hubby turned his nose up at this fruit salad
when I told him I used honey and lime in it.
That was until he tried it.
Now I can't keep it around!
He doesn't even want the whipped topping fruit salad anymore.

Cut up your favorite fruits and combine with a simple
Honey Lime Dressing.

The honey add that extra touch of sweetness,
where the lime intensifies the fruit flavors.
Want to impress your friends and family at your
next Summertime BBQ?
Make a watermelon whale bowl filled with this
Honey Lime Fruit Salad.
It will be the talk of the party.
I know, I speak from experience.
I made this for our DIL's baby shower and it was a HUGE hit!
To make a Watermelon Whale bowl,
first purchase a large oval shaped seedless watermelon.
Next, you will need a picture of a whale tail for a template,
or if you're super talented you could draw one freehand.
I'm not that talented so I did the next best thing.
I found mine on the internet and enlarged it to the size I wanted.
You will also need a serrated knife and a sharp object to trace
around the template.
I used a pick that came with my nutcracker.
Hey, no judging.
It's all about improvising here.
I do whatever it takes to get the end result.
Place your template on the end of the watermelon
that doesn't have the stem and
trace around the template with the sharp object.
(you will use the stem end for the whale's nose)
I don't know, do whales have a nose?
Let's just pretend if they don't.


Once I had the tail traced I used the sharp object and 
roughly drew a line around the watermelon for the bowl opening,
 making sure I saved enough room on the front for the whale's face.
Scoop out the watermelon before you create the whale's face,
just like you would when you are making a Jack-O-Lantern.
Draw the eyes, mouth, and don't forget about the blowhole, and cut out.
Being careful, place your whale bowl on its' side and slice a couple
strips of rind off the bottom to flatten the belly. This will stabilize
your whale bowl and prevent it from rolling over.
Your whale bowl is now ready to be filled
with your favorite fruit salad.

HONEY LIME DRESSING

1/4 cup Honey
2 teaspoons Lime Zest (optional)
1 Tablespoon Fresh Lime juice

In a small bowl, whisk together the honey, lime zest and lime juice together.
Pour over fruit and mix together.

Bring on the Summertime BBQs!

That's it for this week.
Until Next Time,
Veronica

No comments:

Post a Comment