Sunday, March 25, 2018

How To Transform A Timeworn Dresser

Don't you love seeing a good Before and After?
Oh good, me too.
*I am in no way compensated for any of the products I show.
These are my go to products that I use time and time again
which do exactly as they claim.*

Once Hubby and I got this piece home
I couldn't wait to start transforming this
dresser and bringing it back to life.
The first thing I did was sand down the top.
I  almost got to the point of throwing in the towel
because the stain/paint/varnish was so thick it took
FOREVER to sand off a small section, but
 once I got my first glimpse of the beautiful natural wood
color under all that nastiness that's all the encouragement
I needed to keep going. I'm so glad I didn't give up.
After seeing how beautiful the wood tone
was I decided not to stain or paint the top.

I wanted to show it's natural beauty off.
I added a coat of Minwax Paste Finishing Wax to protect the top.
Love this stuff.
Next, I removed the knobs and keyhole covers and wiped
down the entire dresser using Clorox wipes to remove
all of the dirt and grime.
Using wood putty I filled in any deep scratches, dents, holes and cracks.
This is the wood putty I use. It goes on pink and dries a light beige color.
Once the wood putty was dry I sanded down
the areas until I had a smooth finish.
Using a shop vac with a brush attachment I vacuumed
the dresser down to remove all the fine dust from sanding.

Now I was ready to paint.
I painted the dresser using 3 light coats of leftover Farmhouse white chalk paint.
I let each layer dry completely before applying the next.
When using chalk paint there is no need to prime your piece.
This is the 2nd drawer that had the big crack in it.
You can't even tell it was cracked.

I let the paint dry overnight then sealed the body of the dresser
using Annie Sloan Clear Wax.
It was time to add my new knobs.
Aren't these knobs just perfect for this dresser?
The best place I found for unique knobs is Hobby Lobby.
They have a huge selections to choose from and I
always wait until they have a 50% off sale.
These knobs costs me $2.99 each.
After much searching I was able to find keyhole covers
on an Ebay store that were the same size as the old ones
but they only came in a gold finish.
I wasn't too concerned about that. I had an easy remedy to fix it.
Rub and Buff to the rescue. I used the Silver Leaf color.
You can find this in any craft store.
Simpy rub it on and let it dry, then buff to obtain a shiny finish.
Just look at that beautiful dresser top!
Are you ready to see the surprise inside the drawers?
I lined each of the drawers with some leftover material from my stash.
It adds a little special touch to this dresser.
Before adding the material I wanted to make sure that the stain
marks didn't show through the material.
I applied a coat of primer over all the stains.
This is my favorite primer.
After the primer had dried I applied a coat of Mod Podge using
a foam brush and then laid down my fabric and smoothed it out.
What a nice surprise now when you open the drawers.
This dresser now sits in our dining room and holds
all of our table linens.
It's finally nice to have one designated area
to keep all of these corralled.
With a little sweat equity and a big imagination
I was able to turn this old worn out dresser into
a thing of  beauty with a new purpose. I'm so happy
that our Son and DIL didn't donate this dresser.
This dresser cost me $25.00 to restore only because
I bought new knobs and keyhole covers.
Where else can you find a beautiful dresser
for that price? I'd say I got one heck of a deal! 

I wander what our Son will think of this dresser now?

Check back in next week as I have a new
Masterpiece to show off.

That's it for this week.

Until Next Time,
Veronica






No comments:

Post a Comment