Sunday, June 17, 2018

A Vintage Desk Makeover

I was on the hunt for a small desk to
place in our lower level family room.
As I was dropping off a few things
at our local Goodwill store I thought
I would take a quick look inside to see
if anything caught my attention.
I spotted this vintage desk that was exactly what I had been looking for.
Not only was it the perfect desk, it was for sale for $9.99!
So it came home with me.😊
It was in need of a new paint job.

Because the paint job was so poorly done, 
thickly applied in some areas, while other areas
had a thin layer, I decided to completely sand it down.
After 2 days of sanding and 6 sheets of sand paper I was ready to paint.

The weather finally turned nice enough that
I was able to set up my paint tent and paint outside.
I decided to keep the original handles
and give them a new look too.
I used Rub 'N Buff in Gold leaf.

Betcha can't guess what color I painted it.
Are you ready for the reveal?

BEFORE
O.k., here goes.

AFTER
Ha, Did I fool ya!
Did you guess I was going to paint it white?
The color is called Blue Nose by Benjamin Moore.
It is a beautiful blue gray color, although the picture
shows it as a brighter blue.
When it comes to adding color into our home
I tend to always lean toward the color blue.

Here is a true fun fact.
Did you know that blue is the world's favorite color?
No.
Me, either.
I can see why though.
Blue is considered a neutral color.
It plays nicely with all colors.

I always get my paints mixed at Home Depot
using this brand as my base.
One coat of this paint completely covered the desk nicely.
I wanted a little contrast so I stained the top
with Minwax Special Walnut.
I thought about using my spray paint gun to paint it,
but in the end I decided to paint it with a brush.
It only took me about 1 hour to paint it.
I let the paint dry overnight then applied
1 layer of clear satin polycrylic to seal it.
The top received 2 layers of stain and
2 layers of clear satin polycrylic.
A couple of close up shots.


Here is the side by side comparison shot.
I'd call that a good $10.00 investment.
I love how this desk turned out.
Now I have to find a chair to go with it.

That's it for this week.
Until Next Time,
Veronica

1 comment:

  1. How do you decide when to use chalk paint or not chalk paint?
    Desk looks very nice!

    ReplyDelete