Sunday, July 1, 2018

Getting Benched

We have this solid oak cedar lined chest that sits at the end of our bed.
We use it daily to sit on when we put on our shoes.
Although it's a beautiful chest it's bulkier than what
I would like sitting at the end of the bed, plus
Hubby was forever stubbing his toes on it at night.😢
Since I built a new headboard I was on the hunt for
a bench seat that was narrower than the chest,
sturdy enough to sit on,
 and would blend in nicely with the new headboard.
I had a vision of what I wanted and wouldn't settle for anything else.

One day at my FIL's I spotted this solid wood bench
that was sitting in his basement.
He didn't want it so it came home with me 😊
and I turned it into the perfect bench seat.
It turned out exactly how I envisioned it.
Good quality upholstered bench seats range between $250.00 - $900.00.
Our bench seat costs less than $50.00 to make.
We now have a beautiful custom built bench seat.
Here is a quick rundown on how I created our new bench seat.

To create the seat for the bench I used
a mattress pad, scrap piece of quilt batting,
the same curtain that I used to create the headboard,
leftover cording,
and 2 packages of nailhead trim.




Once I had all the pieces cut to size, using my electric staple
gun I stapled all the layers around the perimeter of the bench.
To give the bench a nicely finished look and to cover up the 
staples I created piping from leftover cording from my sewing stash
and the remaining curtain material, then secured all
the pieces using the nailhead trim.
Once I had the bench top completed the legs were painted 
Chocolate Swirl by Behr. It was the perfect brown to match the nailhead trim.
Our new custom designed upholstered bench works perfect for us.
No more stubbed toes for Hubby.😃
Not only are we enjoying the new bench seat,
our grandson loves it as well.
He loves to climb up on it and sit.
This bench seat came together quickly and easily.
Hubby was surprised that I completed this bench while he was out golfing.
I never imagined I would be able to afford a custom upholstered bench for our bedroom.
It just goes to show, where there's a will, there's a way.

Cost Breakdown:

Bench - Free - donated from my FIL
Mattress Pad - $10.00 at Walmart
Quilt Batting - Free - leftover from my stash
Curtain Panel - $12.00 at Target
Cording - Free - leftover from my stash
Nailhead Trim - $20.00 for 2 pkg. - Hobby Lobby 50% off
Paint - $3.00 sample pot mixed at Home Depot
TOTAL COSTS to build = $45.00

That's it for this week.
Until Next Time,
Veronica

No comments:

Post a Comment