Sunday, August 28, 2016

How to Make A Farmhouse Clock

Would you like to make a Farmhouse
clock like mine?

Let's begin.

First, you will need a round wooden circle,
choose your size, and an image of how you would
like your clock to look.

My wooden circle measures 24 inches.
This is the image I used for my layout.
Lightly sand down the top and sides of the disc.
I didn't sand it smooth because I wanted a little
bit of imperfections.
I used my handy, dandy, hand sander to make sanding quicker.
Yes, this sander is all mine.
Wipe off all the dust from sanding.
I applied one coat of this stain to the top and sides.

I knew that I wanted the center of my clock to have the dark
stain showing.  I drew a 10 inch circle in the center and then
painted 2 coats of white paint outside the dark circle.  I wasn't
worried about getting a little paint inside the center circle.
Let your paint dry completely.
After the paint had dried, I lightly sanded over the whole disc
until I was satisfied with the look.
This is what I use to draw my large circles with.
This tool makes drawing circles a breeze.
Next, I drew 3 more circles to accommodate the
numbers and the second hand lines.
I didn't measure these, I just eyeballed them.
I created my Roman numerals using the Abraham Lincoln font
and sized them to fit my space.  I cut each set of numerals out
and placed them onto the disc using the template as a guide.
Once I was satisfied with the placement of the numerals,
I placed a piece of carbon paper behind each set and
traced the numerals using a ball point pen.
Once I had all the numerals traced, I used these to
outline and paint them in.
Figuring out how far I needed to place my second hand lines
took a little bit of math skills.  Once I figured it out I used
a piece of string and marked 2 black dots to use for a spacing tool.
I made my mark and moved the string for the next line to be marked.
I decided that I wanted my Farmhouse clock to be purely decorative
for now.  I can easily turn it into a working clock later if I change my mind.
To create my clock hands I purchased a piece of Balsa wood
from Michael's which costs $1.29.
I printed out a set of hands that I created from my Silhouette Cameo
machine.  I traced the hands onto the Balsa wood using the same
carbon paper method.  Once the hands were traced I cut them
out using an Exacto knife and painted them using the paint markers.
Before I placed the hands on the clock, I applied one
coat of this wax to the front and sides of the clock.
I wanted to protect all of my hard work.
In my haste to finish my Farmhouse clock I forgot
to take pictures of  how I attached the hands.
Basically, Hubby drilled a center hole for me
and I used a small piece of dowel rod and
glued it into the center hole.
 I placed the hands onto the dowel rod with
a washer between the two hands so that I
could easily move the hands to set different times
when the mood strikes me.
To hold the hands onto the dowel rod I
used a thumb tack that I painted using the paint markers
and pushed it down in the center of the dowel rod.

I found this package of hangers in Hubby's garage
and had Hubby attach the hanger on the back
of the clock for me.
And that was how I made our Farmhouse Clock.
I hope you enjoyed my little Farmhouse clock tutorial.

Until Next Time,
Veronica

No comments:

Post a Comment