Sunday, October 9, 2016

Making The Cut

My whale tail cupcakes were a huge
hit at the Baby shower.
Everyone was wondering if the whale tails
were edible, and where I bought them.
They were surprised when I told them that
they were indeed edible,
and that I made them with my own hands.

The whale tails were made out of
Marshmallow fondant.

Marshmallow fondant is so easy to make.

These are the simple ingredients that you will need
to make marshmallow fondant.
Place the marshmallows in a large microwave safe bowl
and add 2 tablespoons of water.  Place in
the microwave and heat on high for 30 second
increments, stirring after each 30 seconds
until marshmallows are completely melted.
Remove from the microwave.
If you are adding coloring and flavoring, now is the time to add it in.
I added 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
Add in the powdered sugar and stir.  You won't be able to
completely blend in the powdered sugar with the spoon, but that's o.k.
Marshmallow fondant is VERY sticky.
Using the Crisco shortening, apply a generous amount onto
your hands and work surface.  Empty the fondant onto the
work surface and start to knead the dough until the
powdered sugar is completely incorporated.
Roll the dough into a ball and grease the ball
using the Crisco shortening.  Wrap in Saran wrap
and place the dough into a Ziplock baggie.
Refrigerate for 2 hours, or more.
I couldn't find a whale tail cookie cutter,
so I improvised by creating my own.
I wanted to be able to use my cookie cutter
over and over again.  I wanted something
that I could easily manipulate and bend, but not break.
I was thinking that a piece of aluminum
would do the trick, so Hubby and I headed to
Home Depot and discovered this.
I'll be able to make A LOT of cookie cutters!
Once I had my aluminum, I found a picture of
a whale tail that I liked on the internet and shrunk
it to the size I wanted using our home printer.
Using a piece of string I traced around the outside
of my design, overlapping the beginning and end,
to determine how long I needed to cut my aluminum strip.

*Use caution when cutting aluminum as it is VERY SHARP*

Using the string as a guide, I cut the length of
aluminum and then cut the aluminum to 1 inch wide.
Hubby cut my aluminum with a utility knife and ruler on a piece of wood in the garage.
Once I had my aluminum strip cut, using a piece of sandpaper,
I sanded all the edges, rounding the corners.
Now I could start shaping my cookie cutter without cutting my fingers.
Using the picture as a guide, I started forming my cookie
cutter, using my jewelry making tools to help form the shape.
I overlapped the ends by 1/2 inch.  I took a nail and made 2 holes,
and added 2 eyelets, found in my craft room, and adhered the cookie cutter together.

Time to roll out the fondant and use the cookie cutter.
Before rolling out your fondant, grease your work surface
using the crisco shortening.
Roll the fondant out to 1/4 inch thickness.

Before I used my new cookie cutter
I  washed it with hot soapy water with a little clorox added.
Use the cookie cutter just like you would any other cookie cutter.
This cookie cutter is even dishwasher safe!


Place the fondant shapes onto a parchment lined cookie sheet.
Place another piece of parchment paper on top and let air
dry for 2-3 days, or longer, until hardened.
Your new shapes are ready to use.
That's it for this week.
Until Next Time,
Veronica

No comments:

Post a Comment