Sunday, October 30, 2016

A Beacon of Light

Oh My Goodness!
Saturday I created my first Christmas decoration for the year!!!!
I won't show you just yet, you'll just have to wait a little bit longer.

Instead, I thought I would share a simple craft
that I made for our new grandson's nursery.
If you have been following my blog for any
length of time, you know that we are expecting
of first grand baby, and the baby's nursery is a nautical theme.

I knew that our Son and DIL are going to be getting up
A LOT during the night with the baby.  So I thought I would
make a little night light that they could keep on in the baby's room
during the night to help them see better.

I had this little light that I picked up at our local
Goodwill store for $2.00 and was going to update it for our home,
which I never got around to updating it until now.

It went from this.......
to this cute little nautical lamp.
Here's how I transformed this blah looking lamp.

I used this rope that I had stashed in my craft room.
Using my hot glue gun, I started in the back of the lamp
at the base, and started hot gluing the rope around the entire lamp,
being careful as I went around the lamp cord.
To upcycle the lampshade I used this leftover material,
from a previous project, that I found in my stash. This
material looked like little gusts of  wind to me.
Perfect for a nautical themed nursery.
Lay your lamp shade on the backside of the material.
Starting a 1/2 inch from the beginning of the material, start rolling the
lampshade across the material and trace a line on the
top and bottom of the lamp shade, adding an extra
1/2 inch on the end.
Once you have your base line,
roughly draw an additional 1/2 inch line for
your seam allowance, like so.
Cut out your lampshade pattern and lay face down.
Using a can of  spray adhesive, I sprayed the entire backside
of the material. I forgot to take a picture of the spray adhesive. Oops.
*Before you spray, protect your work area. This spray adhesive is very sticky*
 You can purchase spray adhesive at any fabric store.
 I purchased mine from Joann Fabrics, using a 40% off coupon.
 If you have a Walmart with a fabric area, you can find it there.

Fold one side-end over 1/2 inch.  This will be your finished edge.
Starting with the unfinished edge, start applying the material to
the lampshade, smoothing the material as you go, and tucking the top
and bottom edges over.
You might need to have and extra set of hands to help you with this part.

Once you reach the end, you should have some overlap left,
spray a thin strip of spray adhesive down the edge
and overlap with the finished edge.

To give the lampshade a nice finished look, I hot glued
a navy colored ribbon along the top and bottom, and
finished off with the rope.
As soon as the Baby's room is complete, I will show
you where our DIL placed this lamp.

Isn't it just perfect for a Nautical themed room?

So remember,
don't throw those old tired looking lamps away,
refurbish them and transform them into beautiful works of art!

That's it for this week.
Until Next Time,
Veronica


No comments:

Post a Comment