Sunday, April 23, 2017

Concrete and Wood Design

There's something about concrete and wood
together that draws me in.
I wanted a cake stand made from concrete and wood,
except I didn't really want concrete because it would
be too heavy. I just wanted it to look like concrete.
I've looked high and low and couldn't even find a
cake stand that was made with concrete and wood.
So I started brainstorming to see if I could create
what I wanted.

Here is my new concrete and wood cake stand.
Did you happen to notice it in my post about
the Chocolate Mint No Churn ice cream?
Hubby came home and I showed him what I made.
He asked me where I got the concrete top from.
He thought it was real concrete!
Mission Accomplished!

I started with an unfinished wooden pedestal
and gave it a coat of stain.
For the top I used an unfinished round wooden disc
and painted 4 different layers of paint on it.
I used white, light gray and dark gray paint to
create a concrete look.
I pulled these colors from my paint stash.
I used a cheap paint brush because I wanted it to
have a textured look.
Sorry I forgot to take pictures of each layer as I went along.
Here is the top completed.
What do you think?
Does it look like concrete?
The hole was filled in with wood putty and painted over.
I let the top sit overnight to completely dry before I attached
it to the base using wood glue.
It turned out exactly how I envisioned it.
It is a natural beauty.
I like to display my cake plates when I don't
have them in use.
Here is a picture of it styled on top of our Pie Safe.
That's it for this week.
Until Next Time,
Veronica





1 comment:


  1. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.
    spray on truck bed liner

    ReplyDelete