Sunday, October 26, 2014

Super Easy Envelope Pillow Covers!

I've mentioned how much I love pillows.  Well, there comes a time when I have to store them somewhere.  I have so many pillows that my closets are filling up and running out of space!
 
This is just one of the closets with pillows!
 
 
As I was looking at my newest Pottery Barn catalog, I don't know why I didn't think of this idea sooner, I noticed that they have pillow covers!  And the sad truth is, I've actually bought some from them before. That's when I had a DUH moment! I could make my own! I could actually have a couple of pillow forms and change the look by simply changing the pillow covers.  And when the pillows become soiled, I could just remove the cover and wash them instead of throwing them out!  Brilliant!  Plus I save a TON of money by making my own!  Less pillow forms means more space for other things. Grin, Grin.
 
So I went online and searched for an easy pattern to make my own.  I checked out several different patterns and combined a few to come up with a very easy, simple and quick pattern.  I made 4 pillow covers in 1 1/2  hours!  That's from start to finish!  You too can make these simple pillow covers with a few supplies.
 
Supplies needed:
Pillow forms (mine are 18" x 18") I got mine from Joann Fabric. Walmart has them also for around $5.00.
Material, any type (I used upholstery fabric)
*Yardage for (2)  18" x 18" pillow covers - 1 1/4 yards of  45" wide fabric
matching thread
measuring tool
scissors
sewing machine

 
Here are my step by step instructions for an 18" x 18" pillow cover.
 
First I ironed my material so that all of the wrinkle were gone and the material would lay flat.
 
*I folded my material in half, with wrong sides together,  because I was making 2 pillow covers.
 


Step 1: Cut 1 piece of material the size of your pillow form, plus 1 additional inch for seam allowances.  This will be your front piece.
 
Example:  18 x 18 pillow form - Cut 19" x 19"

 
Step 2: Cut 1 piece 19" x 25".  Then cut this piece in half from bottom to top.  These will be your 2 back pieces.
 
 
Step 3:  Take one of the back pieces and fold down a 1/4" seam and iron in place.
 
 
Step 4:  Roll down another 1/4 seam and iron in place.  Do Steps 3 & 4 for both back pieces.
 
 
Step 5:  Take your 2 back pieces and sew close to the edge of the hem on both pieces.   This will give you a nice finished edge so that your material won't fray.
 
 
Step 6:  Now you are going to make a sandwich with your 3 pieces.
             Lay down your front piece with the right side facing up.
             Next, lay 1 of the back pieces on top of the front piece with the right side facing down (right sides together).
 

 Step 7:  Take your 2nd back piece and lay it over the other 2 pieces (right side down).  Making sure all the edges are lined up.

 

 
Step 8:  Pin the layers together all the way around.
 
 
Step 9:  Sew a 1/2" seam all the way around the entire edge.  I like to add a few additional stitches over the opening area.
 
 
Step 10:  When you have sewn completely around the pillow cover, trim the corner edges.
 
 
 
Step 11:  You are now ready to turn your pillow cover right side out.  With a turning tool, or something with a pointed end, push out the corners on the pillow cover.
 

Step 12:  Grab your pillow form and insert it into the pillow cover.

 
 
This is what the back should look like.
 
 
Step 13:  Fluff up that pillow and go take a nap!

I made 2 of each of these pillow covers.
 
 
These "Easy To Make Pillow Covers" can be made for ANY size pillow form.
I hope that you have enjoyed my tutorials and that they are easy to understand.
Check back next week for another great project!
 
Have a WONDERFUL DAY!
Veronica
 
 
 
 

1 comment: